Members of the Games Board include:
||Primary Areas of Interest
- Researching Georgian Victorian and Edwardian games toys
- Cataloguing over 1500 games in the Ballam collection
- British games makers and their products 1750-1910 particularly
Wallis, Darton, Betts, Ogilvy, Jaques, Ayres etc.
- Use of games and toys as educational aids.
Published articles on Spellicans, Dissected Puzzles and
old Table Games, Horse Racing Games, Solitaire and other
turned boards, Tops, Tetotums and spinning toys. (All in
The Antique Collector)
||The evolution of games through history especially:
- Board games particularly Halma/Hopity, Pachisi, Snakes
and Ladders ancestry, the Tafl family.
- Pub Games especially Skittles, Quoits.
- Croquet, Pall Mall, Ground Billiards etc.
- Bowls including relationship/confusion with skittle
- Bagatelle, Shuffleboard, Nine Holes, Trou Madame family
- Crokinole, Squails
Runs Masters Traditional
Games, an on-line shop.
Author of the On-line
Guide to Traditional Games.
Webmaster for this site.
- Victorian and Georgian Indoor games
- History of English playing counters
- History of English Whist markers
Managing director ZZota
Ltd, founded 1976, Current games available:
- Counter Intelligence
- The M Pack (playing cards for the 3rd Millenium)
- The history and origins of the games made by Jaques.
- All games in the Jaques 1862 Catalogue*.
- All card games listed in the Jaques 1895 List of Card
- The link between Jaques and D. Ogilvy.
- The connection between Jaques and Hamley Brothers for
the development of the game of Ping Pong and the link
with Parker Brothers in the USA.
- 19th C playing-cards , card games and board games
- History of games companies particularly MIP and Mullord Bros.
Editor of the English Playing Card Society magazine (EPCS) and a member of the IPCS.
Also www.i-p-c-s.org/ and www.epcs.org/ and their respective Playing Card Collectors Clubs on facebook.
- Everything made and sold by Charles Goodall 1820-1922.
- Secondary interest is the British playing card industry from c.1450 to 1930.
Has produced 17 booklets on Charles Goodall.
Chairman of the English Playing card Society. Past Vice-Chairman of the International Playing Card Society.
* Below is shown a cover page of the Catalogue of
Games sold at MacGill's, Princess Street, Edinburgh. A closer
look shows that, in fact, MacGill's pasted their own paper cover
over a copy of the J. JAQUES & SON Illustrated Catalogue of New
Games. The picture on the right shows the Jaques details revealed
through back light.
We study catalogues like this, we look at collections
of old games, we collect pictures of games wherever we go, we
visit libraries, museums and private collections, we write about
games . And occasionally, just occasionally, we actually play
a game or two, as well.